Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Rayudu: I relish batting under pressure


Mumbai Indians were in a spot of bother in their clash against Delhi Daredevils. Chasing 153, they were reduced to 40 for 4 and with rain falling, Delhi Daredevils were ahead on the D/L score. However, the rain relented and a 60-run partnership between Rohit Sharma and Ambati Rayudu gave Mumbai Indians hope.

Rayudu ensured that his team would not suffer any further hiccups and along with Kieron Pollard, guided Mumbai Indians home to a five-wicket victory with three balls to spare. Rayudu's unbeaten 49 was the key in their fourth consecutive win and speaking to iplt20.com, he said he had learnt to play according to the situation.

"Once you are a seasoned cricketer you know how to handle situations and I am happy that I could do that today. It gives me immense happiness to come out on top. I have played quite a few innings for MI like that. It is just trying to be there till the end and being calm, knowing what I can do and what (Kieron) Pollard can do, and playing to our strengths. It helps when you have played with somebody for a very long time and you know which bowlers he can target and which bowlers I can target. So it makes it all the more easier," he said.

Rayudu was even happy that his knock came in a pressure situation and stated that he relished playing under pressure.

"Pressure brings the best out of me. I stay a lot calmer when I have a target it mind and I know how to pace an innings. I am happy that I could do it. When it had come down to getting ten runs per over, all we had to do was hit one boundary an over and run the next five balls (for singles). It is exactly what we were doing till the 19th over. We wanted to leave around six or seven runs for the last over; we left eight and it was all about one hit in the next few balls," he added.

Rayudu's words were echoed by Kieron Pollard, who came in when 53 runs were needed off five overs. He changed the equation of the match by blasting 26 off 14 balls and said both Rayudu and Rohit Sharma had put them in a position where runs could be scored at the fag end. However, Pollard added that the bowlers had set up the game nicely.

"Harbhajan Singh bowled well, the other bowlers too bowled well and we fielded well. 150-odd on this wicket was always gettable, but again the circumstances and rain made it a bit difficult for us. It was about winning, which we've done now and its on to the next game now," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment