Monday, May 4, 2015

Jonathan Trott: England batsman retires from international cricket



The 34-year-old returned to the Test side for the tour of the West Indies, 18 months after leaving the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness, but managed only 72 runs in six innings.

"This was a tough decision but I don't feel my game is at the level needed to play for England," said Trott.

"I was honoured to come back and play international cricket again and I'm disappointed it didn't work out."

The Warwickshire right-hander scored 3,835 runs in 52 Tests, including a century on his debut in the 2009 Ashes decider.
BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew

"Trott has made no mention of the stress-related condition that forced him to return from Australia. He accepts that, technically, he is over the hill. His best days are behind him and he has chosen a dignified withdrawal. Trott made a significant contribution to English cricket as an understated, but dependable number three."

He played in two more successful Ashes campaigns and was named the International Cricket Council player of the year in 2011.

"I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me and given me the chance to represent England and to thank supporters for all their backing over the years," added Trott.

No comments:

Post a Comment